Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Have Conversations with people elder than you (assuming you are young enough!)


I find it fascinating to indulge in conversations with people who are elder to me.  There is much to learn, much to know.  I am friends with a couple who are elder to me by about 15 years or so.  Here are some of the beautiful things I feel when I am with them and I will share them with you.

Values:  Values develop our inner wealth.  People around us use values as a barometer for evaluating us and assessing their dealings with us.  A good elderly friend can be a great source of inspiration and knowledge as they have the experience of having tested the validity of our life long values.  They have the potential to shed more light about honesty, integrity etc even when we do know what these values mean.

Attitudes towards money:  The elders have had a fair share of their ups and downs in their life (Even if you have had them, they being elder have had more).  It is possible that they have a very good insight into what money means to us and how that definition can change over life stages and different periods of time.  I have developed a healthy and constructive attitude about money much due to my conversations with them

Peace:  Time and Experience mould us and invisibly guide us to what our heart really wants – Peace.  The experienced know how to extract their peace from all situations and it helps us to dip in to that ability and learn those habits, much earlier.  I find my peace there.

Will this matter a year from now: The elders help us develop our perspective on the events that are shaping our lives but which are something that they have been through.  The question here is simple enough – Will this matter a year from now?  But when an experienced person asks that question to you and backs the solution with his/her experience, the questions takes a whole new meaning.  I have found that I have moved towards an ideal state by virtue of these inputs.

Copyright – Nitesh Kotecha

No comments:

Post a Comment